The Foundation Phase includes all pupils from Grade R – Grade 3. There is a maximum of 15 children in a class.
It is our aim to create a nurturing learning environment in which our pupils will develop:
- A positive self-image.
- Essential perceptual skills.
- Healthy social relationships.
- Skills/concepts necessary for successful learning.
- A positive attitude towards school and learning in general.
In order to achieve this:
- An Individual Educational Plan (IEP) is designed for each child and revised termly.
- Grade R – 2 learners participate in compulsory Gross Motor classes led by an Occupational Therapist and a Physiotherapist.
- Annual visual and hearing screening is done.
- School readiness testing is done for Grade R learners to ensure the correct placement and IEP targets for Grade 1.
- Additional support may be given in the form of remedial support (Grade 1 – 3) where necessary, as well as extra lesson in the afternoons.
- We provide a full range of extra-mural activities including athletics, cricket, soccer, netball, chess and Arts & Crafts.
- Each Grade 2 and 3 Learner is supported by a dedicated Reading Teacher and receives individual instruction weekly.
- We hold an annual market day and celebrate Grandparents’ Day annually.
- We have Occupational, Physio, Speech and Language Therapists on site as well as an Educational Psychologist to support our learners
Japari follows the National Curriculum and CAPS. All foundation phase learners attend Art, Drama, Music, Physical Education and Computer lessons.